Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Once upon a time...

Twelve years ago I was very new in London and when I decided I wanted to test myself as an illustrator, I didn't know where to start. I spent two months building my portfolio ( let me tell you…it wasn't amazing ) and once it was ready I took notes of art directors' contacts from the magazines I wanted to work with. My English wasn't great and on top of that I was clueless about the industry but in a way I guess I had nothing to lose. I had a business card and a few printed pages with my illustrations to be remembered.  No website just a printed portfolio. I called every single publication in London and I was lucky that most of them agreed to meet me. My first editorial commission came from Red magazine, to draw a horoscope, from an art director that now I consider my friend.  Email was optional so I faxed the rough. I didn't own a computer so when the rough was approved I went to work on someone else's computer who kindly lent it to me. Since then I have been lucky enough to never stop working. 

During that time, I picked up some useful advice from art directors looking at my portfolio. Here are some tips if you are interested to work in illustration:

Do mock ups! Inspire the people you want to work with and show them how your work looks in context.



Draw more than one character! Make them interact.  It will be much easier for a commissioner to book you if they know you can tell the story.



Be style consistent on your portfolio. Experimenting is great but multiple personalities on your portfolio will not bring you more commissions.




Inspire them...
Ax


Follow me on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr for updates

5 comments:

Ben Liu said...

Inspiring and touching story.
Thank you for sharing them, Adrian!

Ben

Camz said...

Thank you for the inspiration, Adrian! We appreciate it! :-D

Robin said...

Great article! So inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

jART said...

So inspiring... thanks for sharing... will keep posted on you

Michael Gabriel said...

Your story is so amazing, i believe you really paid your dues to be in your spot today :) good luck!